Certification – CMLE®
The Certified MedicoLegal Evaluator (CMLE®) distinguishes the Examiner’s commitment to excellence in the evaluation of disease and injury causation. CMLE® certification demonstrates proficiency in the ethics, performance, and communication of the Medicolegal Evaluation.
Knowledge in the following areas is tested:
• Evidence-based principles of causation analysis
• Causation analysis for common musculoskeletal and behavioral conditions
• Aspects unique to the forensic history and physical examination
• The impact of behavioral and social factors on disease and injury occurrence, recovery, impairment, and return to work
• Work ability, return to work and return to duty
• Effective communication, including report-writing in neutral and informative language
• The examination is available with an emphasis on either general medical and musculoskeletal conditions (MD, DO, DC) or behavioral and psychiatric conditions (MD, Ph. D, Psy.D.)
The CMLE® certification is available to licensed physicians, psychologists, and chiropractors involved in the forensic evaluation of injured or sick persons. A core-curriculum study guide is available from IAIME.
The CMLE® certification is valid for five years. CMLE® holders demonstrate their continuing expertise by recertifying every five years. Recertification includes educational videos and an online quiz.
* Includes 1 exam and 2 retests, certificate, membership database update
CEDIR Certification was offered until 2018 when it was replaced by the Certified MedicoLegal Evaluator (CMLE®) Certification. CEDIR holders can maintain active certification by taking CMLE® Recertification Exam (see table above). Access to the CMLE® Recertification Exam has been extended until 1/1/2023.
CMLE® Certification AMA Guides Add-On
IAIME also offers an AMA Guides (5th and 6th Edition) add-on to those taking the CMLE® Certification exam with an additional brief exam. This add-on is available for each additional AMA Guides Edition that an individual desires. Please note there is an additional fee for each AMA Guides Edition added.
AMA Guides 5th Edition Add-On
AMA Guides 6th Edition Add-On