IAIME is the leading international, professional membership organization involved in independent medicolegal evaluations using evidenced-based medicine, clinical best practices, and practice guidelines.
Certified MedicoLegal Evaluator (CMLE®)
The Certified MedicoLegal Evaluator (CMLE) distinguishes the Examiner’s commitment to excellence in the evaluation of disease and injury causation. CMLE certification demonstrates proficiency in the ethics, performance, and communication of the Medicolegal Evaluation.
Knowledge in the following areas is tested:
• Evidence-based principles of causation analysis
• Causation analysis for common musculoskeletal and behavioral conditions
• Aspects unique to the forensic history and physical examination
• The impact of behavioral and social factors on disease and injury occurrence, recovery, impairment, and return to work
• Work ability, return to work and return to duty
• Effective communication, including report-writing in neutral and informative language
• The examination is available with an emphasis on either general medical and musculoskeletal conditions (MD, DO, DC) or behavioral and psychiatric conditions (MD, Ph. D, Psy.D.)
The CMLE certification is available to all licensed professionals involved in the management, treatment, and evaluation of injured or sick workers. A core-curriculum study guide is available from IAIME.
The CMLE certification is valid for five years. CMLE holders demonstrate their continuing expertise by recertifying every five years. Recertification includes educational videos and an online quiz.
|CMLE Exam*||CMLE Recertification*|
* Includes 1 exam and 2 retests, certificate, membership database update
CEDIR Certification was offered until 2018 when it was replaced by the Certified MedicoLegal Evaluator (CMLE®) Certification. CEDIR holders can maintain active certification by taking CMLE Recertification Exam (see table above).
AMA Guides Additional Credentials
IAIME also offers added credentials (4th, 5th, 6th Guides) to those receiving their CMLE® certification by way of an additional (brief) exam. This will be made available for each additional edition for which an individual desires further qualification. Additional credentials (adding the 4th, 5th, or 6th to current credentials) will require additional fee payments.
|CMLE AMA Guides Additional Certification|
|4th Edition||5th Edition||6th Edition|
AMA Guides Impairment Ratings Certification 5th or 6th Edition
IAIME offers certification for licensed professionals (JD, AP, NP, RN, CCM, fellows/residents) with an interest in the independent assessment of health and function as these relate to impairment and disability.
|AMA Guides Impairment Ratings Certification|